Monday, May 14, 2012

Rapid Cycling Bipolar and "Wobbly" Mood

Bipolar Disorder and Unstable Mood

Many people with Bipolar Disorder spend weeks, months or years in a manic, hypomanic, "normal" or depressed mood, but there are also those that of us who move between moods more rapidly, several times a year, or even far more frequently. This is called rapid cycling bipolar disorder, and this is often how my moods change. 

I do experience the more stable type of bipolar disorder, with long stints of hypomania and depression. But sometimes, like over the past few days, my mood feels "wobbly". For me that's the best way to describe it. When wobbly, my mood is very unstable. I may easily move into extreme hypomania after a sleepless night or when over-scheduled, and can just as easily dip into depression if I experience set-backs, frustrations or even a cross word from someone I love.

The best way I have found to deal with wobbly mood is by being very compliant in taking my medication and seeking consistency in my behavior. If I feel depressed, I try to do things that I know, from experience, nudge me in the opposite direction, such as being around others and doing something that makes me happy. If I wobble toward an unhealthy level of hypomania, I try to simplify my schedule, cancel some commitments, get help with some tasks and get plenty of sleep. 


Do your moods cycle rapidly? If so, what do you do to level out?

Bipolar Stats:

  • Level of Mania (on scale of 1 - 10, with 1=none, 10=practically levitating): 3
  • Level of Depression (on a scale of 1 - 10, with 1=none, 10=can't get out of bed): 2
  • Medication Compliance (0 = not taking, 5=taking some, 10=taking all): 10 (not sire took right meds today)
I am recording my mania and depression bipolar data separately because I often have mixed episodes where manic and depressive symptoms occur at the same time.

This blog is for informational purposes only, it is not intended to be used for the treatment of mental illness. If you are having emotional troubles, please see a mental health professional, not a computer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment